the Trenta--specifically designed for the iced coffee drinker. How fortuitous!)
Anyway, As my regular readers will attest, I am a culinary DIY kinda guy, and for a number of reasons (food cost, quality control, as well as calorie control). I am also a bit of a coffee snob. When I started actively trying to drop pounds, the thing I first really tried to "save" in my daily routine was my morning espresso mocha. Not having that to start my day was not something I wanted to deal with while trying to fend off the feelings of being deprived of yummayness. I came up with a great low-carb, low-cal mocha that people still squee over. But iced mocha type drinks are a bit more tricky. The milky factor makes lower calorie versions seem realky weak-sauce. And weak-sauce is NOT what you want in an iced coffee beverage on a hellishly hot day.
So, here--my dear dietary die-hards--is my gift to you.
Da Fatman's Lo-Cal Iced Mocha
What you'll need:
- 12oz strong cold-brewed coffee
- 1 half-gallon Blue-Diamond Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can Black & White brand evaporated milk
- 1 cup Splenda sweetener
- 1 2.1oz box Jell-O brand sugar-free chocolate pudding mix
- 8 tbsp Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso
- 1 ice cube tray
- 1 Blender (I use a stck-style immersion blender)
What to do:
- The morning before, soak the ground coffee in filtered water. Now just let it sit all day, for at least 8 hours. This is a cold water extraction, and makes a very strong yet non-bitter coffee. That evening, pour the coffee into the ice cube tray, and place in your freezer. You see where I'm going with this, I'm sure.
- The next day, take a gallon pitcher and add the evaporated milk, the sweetener, pudding mix, espresso powder and half the almond milk. Blend this very throughly, ensuring there's no unblended, caked up stuff. Then add in the rest of the almond milk and finish bending. refridgerate.
- To enjoy, take a half-dozen coffee ice cubes and put them in a glass placed in your freezer for 30min. fill the glass with about half filtered water and half mocha concentrate. Kick back and enjoy. I mean it: really enjoy, because this decadent treat has only HALF the calories of even a "skinny" bigbox variety, and it's coffee-riffic all the way down with the coffee-flavored ice cubes. There's zero dilution!