Friday, August 27, 2010

Oh, and one or two other things...

Firstly, I just popped on the scale, and the number was 261.6!  Admittedly, I haven't had anything to eat today except a mocha, but... ummm... whatevah!

And something I wanted to relay from last night.  I had a Communications Team meeting yesterday to discuss progress on our "new" website.  It was at a local Lebanese restaurant down the street from the zendo.  I have to pat myself on the back for this one.  I was soooooo good.  Everyone was eating hummus, pita, falafel, tabouli, etc.  I ordered a Mediterranean chicken salad.  I knew it would be hard sitting mere inches away from all those carbohydrates, so I preemptively rewarded myself by ordering an additional chicken skewer.  I even refrained from Turkish coffee (which has nearly as much sugar as coffee).  I still felt sated.  I left full.  Then off to the zendo.

After zazen and service, I cut out just a touch early (mostly to avoid the "tea & cookies" portion of the evening).  I was sitting at the bus stop across the street from the Dharma center.  A friend walked by on her way to her car, and sat down on the bench next to me.

"I can't place it, but something looks different about you?"

"Well, it's not my hair-cut," (zen joke: I shave my head).  "It's probably that I've dropped nearly thirty pounds since July 1st" I replied.

"That's IT!  Your face looks different!  You look great!"

We went on to discuss the whole critter issue.  She mentioned that she was considering adding meat back into her diet as well.

It's nice when people notice.  It's even nicer to know why they notice, and moreover, that they at times face the same quandaries you do.

The truth is, we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment